DO YOU KNOW? INTERSEX IS NOT A GENDER IDENTITY

Intersex is not a gender identity graphics

Intersex people come from all socioeconomic backgrounds, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, faiths, and political ideologies. In addition, intersex people can have different gender identities. Gender identity refers to the personal sense of an individual’s gender regardless of their sex. A 2015 Australian survey reports a similar finding, with 75% of intersex respondents identifying their gender as either “male” or “female” and the remaining 25% choosing a variety of other options.

Morgan Carpenter (2018) states that:

“intersex bodies remain “normalized” or eliminated by medicine, while society and the law “others” intersex identities. That is, medicine constructs intersex bodies as either female or male, while law and society construct intersex identities as neither female nor male.”

Some intersex persons may identify as male, female, non-binary, or a different gender. Intersex individuals may also be transgender if they do not identify with the gender with which they were raised.

Intersex  people have the right to choose their own gender identity, and should never be forced to live with bodies or identities they do not feel comfortable with.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *